2017-05-15 Day 29

John drove us back to El Bolson for me to see if my card was in the bank.

The bank was full so went in with my phone ready to read what I needed to say. The guard promptly shooed me out as obviously one is not to use one's phone in a bank!

I called the guard out to the foyer where the ATM’s are and explained in my poor Spanish that on Friday I left my card in the machine. He just asked for my passport and disappeared in behind a locked door. 5 mins later he came back with my card and a photocopy of card and passport which I duly signed and left. So much easier than cancelling and getting another one sent.

I asked the lady in the Tourist info shop to help me with my phone, she managed to get it organised with data so John was able to send his emails.

Drove North again. I must say that today it is more pretty than on Friday when we drove up. Friday night we had a light dusting of snow on the mountains.


Arrived into San Carlos De Bariloche which is a ski town. On the drive in there were lots of shanty towns which surprised us as we had the impression that this would be a wealthy town.

Parques informed us that because of the wind all the walks were closed. Well I guess we’d already seen some of the park over the last few days.

We drove to the base of the ski tows but no snow yet and then the hunt for a camp. It took longer than usual tonight but we did see some pretty amazing houses next to the lake. Just as we had back tracked a little to a possible camp site a police car drove slowly past with lights flashing did a U-turn and drove away slowly.


We set up camp on the side of a rode behind a guard rail. Beautiful view of lake Nahuel Huapi. Forecast -4°C tonight so we got the quilt out and put it on the doona.