2019-05-30 Day 245 Thu



A much needed soothing photo to start the day!

At 4am the alarm woke us. Up out of bed and ready for the conference call. JY joined form tassie but Chris and JGB were unavailable. 
 
John noticed a mess in his locker, the liquid clothes washing soap had leaked. What a mess. We saved what we could out of the plastic box and sieved it back into it’s container. The cloth items that were soaked in it, I did not wash out, but left to use in the next wash. After cleaning up and having breakfast we headed back down the track. I stopped to photograph some flowers. When we reached the main road we had a welcoming party two cars. The police car with 4 uniformed cops and the other plain car with 4 plain clothes military guys……

They wanted to see passports and camera. The cop looked at the photos on camera and was OK with them but the military guy was not - and he deleted 2 photos off the camera taken looking out over the city. There is a military factory down the bottom of the hill where we were duly led.
John stayed outside the compound with the passports and I went inside with camera and laptop. I was given biscuits then left alone. I sent a quick message to family and my location just in case...After 10 minutes I went outside to see where John was. 
 
We were both ushered back to the room with a military personnel. We were obviously waiting for someone, we were given a plate of sealed bickies and a can of soft drink which neither of us touched.
Chris sent me a message so I asked if I could call my son. No problems - I went outside and chatted to him and was ushered back inside still on the phone.
We explained to the guy with English that we needed to get to the Turkish embassy that that is why we were in this town. They let us go, while they kept my laptop and camera. 
 
We did not have much success at the consulate as they do not have an official translator and john was not allowed to sign a Turkish document without it being translated and having the translators stamp and signature even though it was a direct copy of one he had already signed but with a different date…… Bureaucracy!!!
The young lady was very helpful but could only suggest we get it in English - translate it to Persian sign it with a notary, then consulate can stamp it and in turkey have it translated into Turkish…….. Lots of work, or try another consulate maybe in Uzbekistan.

Back to our “friends“ at the military “factory” . Here we were delivered a lunch of chicken and rice, and tea.
John was delayed coming to the room and the guy who had good English asked me some questions but once John arrived I was ignored to the point of being spoken over. He said he was trying to speed the process for us. He made several calls to ask for out stuff to be returned. Back at the vehicle he rang our visa through to someone and asked if first time in Iran we both replied yes. He turned to me and asked again I replied yes then he proceeded carefully to say that some one with my name had been here in 2004 and 2016. I denied again. I cant imagine there are many people with my name. Anyway it was all cleared up, someone with a name similar to mine…
He had another appointment so left, finally we received our laptop and camera back and left.
We let family know all was well.
It was now late afternoon. We tried hard to get an oil change but no one had a filter. Tried also to buy dried fruit but failed there as well.
We headed out on a yellow road that headed east towards the border of Turkmenistan finding a lovely camp overlooking a dam and a neat cliff face. 

 A relaxing place to de-stress.

 101km